The university (the UEBA) management, in the process of creating of long-term plan, has taken into account the present development of the university in order to continue to develop all the positive factors from previous years. At the same time, it has reflected the new challenges in this plan arising from the changing requirements in the academic and scientific research environment of universities and the needs of socio-economic practice in Slovakia and the European Union (the EU) in the context of globalization and building a common international educational and research fields.
When creating a long-term plan, among other things, it has been taken into consideration that the UEBA has a unique position in the higher education system of the Slovak Republic on the grounds that:
- it is historically the first higher education institution in economics in Slovakia.
- has a highly qualified human potential of the teachers and the staff (both in number as well as its expertise)
- is somewhat unique workplace within all institutions of higher education in economics in Slovakia
- has the largest market share in higher economic education in Slovakia in terms of number of students,
- has by far the highest share in economic and management education in terms of the number of accredited study programs at all levels of higher education in Slovakia.
- provides a comprehensive range of training in the group field of economics and management and in selected study programs, fields of computer science, information and communication technology, humanities and personal services
- achieves long-term excellence of graduates in the labour market in Slovakia and the EU.
- it has a library, which has its unique position in the system of libraries and is the only specialized economic library in Slovakia
- on the basis of the above, it has a recognized reputation as well established educational and research institution in Slovakia.
The following documents served mainly as the basis for creating the long-term plan:
- Long-term plan of the development of the UEBA for the period of 2011 - 2015 with a perspective to 2019
- Report on the UEBA activities for the period of 2011 - 2015
- Analysis of the current situation in various areas of activities for the UEBA
- The programming documents of the EU related in particular to the Europe 2020 strategy and the modernization of higher education in the EU
- Requirements and achieved preliminary results in the process of international accreditation in the system AACSB
- The results of complex accreditation of the UEBA activities in 2015
Long-term plan consists of two main parts:
- The mission, principles of functioning, values and vision of the UEBA
- Strategy and major development activities in Bratislava
- Strategic goals of the University
- Priorities in the University activities
- Main tasks of the University
I. THE MISSION, PRINCIPLES OF FUNCTIONING, VALUES AND VISION OF THE UEBA
THE MISSION OF THE UNIVERSITY
The UEBA is the part of the European Higher Education Area and the common European Research Area (ERA). As part of this integration its mission is to provide a good quality higher education in all three levels of university studies in the complex of economic and management curricula and selected study programs in the humanities and the informatics, to develop the knowledge based on the freedom of creative scientific research in economics, informatics, humanities and social sciences, and thus contributing to development of the knowledge society in Slovakia and in the European area.
THE PRINCIPLES OF FUNCTIONING
In pursuing its mission, the University applied in the past, applies in the present and also will apply in the future the following stable principles of functioning:
1. Accentuated social responsibility in relation to Slovakia and to foreign countries in the implementation of its core activities (education, research and transfer of knowledge)
This principle is applied mainly that the University:
- actively responds to the current socio-economic challenges and needs as well as it helps Slovakia to build the country's competitiveness,
- actively participates in the implementation of the European policies by which the EU responds to current societal challenges,
- seeks and implements adequate forms of domestic and international cooperation with the authorities, the organizations and the institutions of academic, economic and social life, considers cooperation with economic practice as one of the basic pillars of its strategy and accordingly develops the relationships of mutually beneficial cooperation,
- encourages and creates favourable conditions for training in a wide range of study programs with an emphasis on doctoral studies based on its own scientific research activities and the application of the latest European and world science results,
- encourages and creates favourable conditions for the freedom of scientific research based on interdisciplinarity and comparison with the international scientific and research potential,
- contributes to the creation of new scientific knowledge shifting boundaries of knowledge in selected areas of research and through research and development contributes to the creation of the European Research Area and to social and economic development in Slovakia.
2. Strengthening and development of academic excellence and quality in all areas of functioning
To consolidate this principle, the University contributes in particular by:
- concerning the preparation of basic educational and research projects, it compares the level of its functioning with similar well established universities of analogous character in the EU and the world, as well as the quality standards applicable on the European and global level and reflects them in its processes. In the development of research it draws on the premise that research is an essential starting point and the concomitant of the increase of education quality.
- it continuously makes necessary changes to achieve excellence in particular by supporting innovation and development in selected areas of its activities,
- it relentlessly improves and develops its academic programs with the objective to prepare the graduates for practice whose professional profile, theoretical and practical knowledge meet the needs of the labour market in Slovakia and in the EU,
- with its educational activities it prepares the graduates to be able systematically develop their professional knowledge, skills and competence in accordance with the requirements of educational standards of international accreditation agencies.
- it promotes and develops the education based on the development of economic thinking and active learning processes and continuously evaluates achievement of the rated educational outcomes at each level of studies and in each taught subject, it also upgrades forms and methods of training in accordance with technological progress
- it promotes the cooperation with reputable universities in Central Europe, on the European and wider international level, seeking to improve the quality of their own educational and scientific-research activities,
- it accepts its natural domestic and international competition, applies and develops the mechanisms of mutual inspiration in conjunction therewith, it promotes mutual competitiveness and the ambitions to compare itself with renowned universities that focus on research within domestic and wider international space as well.
- it uses feedback in the interest of developing and improving the quality of all forms of activities and life at the University.
- it has been creating favourable conditions for ensuring the internal integrity of the University.
3. Internationalisation of the activities
For the purpose of comparing the quality of its own activities, increasing the attractiveness and dissemination of the good reputation of the University in international educational and scientific-research area, the University applies this principle in particular by:
- successfully fulfilling the requirements of international standards as part of the AACSB system,
- it also develops and strengthens the network of relationships with foreign recognized higher education institutions reflected in bilateral agreements on cooperation in educational and scientific-research area, it also develops informal cooperation to achieve synergistic effects for both parties,
- it establishes bilateral relations not only at the academic level but also at the level of international institutions and bodies of social and economic practice,
- it supports the development of programs which lead to obtaining joint and double diplomas and promoting mobility of teachers and students.
VALUES IN THE ACTIVITIES OF THE UNIVERSITY
The UEBA proclaims the values and principles enshrined in the Magna Charta Universitatum. In accordance with the above document, the University in particular:
- develops its activities on principles of autonomy, moral and scientific independence from politics and respecting academic freedoms,
- applies the principle of the indivisibility of educational activities from science and research,
- supports critical thinking in the creative activity of the University staff,
- rejects intolerance and promoting dialogue in all areas of the University's activities,
- applies and develops the traditions and values of democracy and European humanism,
- develops the traditions of European dialogue and promotes interaction between cultures,
- respects and applies the principle of equal opportunities.
In addition to respecting the above-mentioned values and principles, the University supports and appreciates the behaviour and attitudes of the teachers, the employees and the students in particular:
- moral integrity,
- awareness of social responsibility and its active implementation,
- applying the sense of duty, performance and quality at work and study,
- applying the principle of compliance with the rules and basic documents of the University and the consequent responsibility for their own conduct and the responsibility towards the UEBA and the whole society,
- loyal attitude towards the University, institutional fellowship and public defence of its interests,
- the pursuit of continuous personal development and lifelong learning without distinction of position held at the University,
- innovation and creativity, a sense of teamwork,
- observance of the principles of professional ethics in relation to the University as well as to the external environment,
- interpersonal empathy, mutual respect and tolerance, willingness to lead constructive dialogue and discussion.
In line with its mission, principles and values, the University seeks to form students to not only become successful qualified economists, managers and other professionals in socio-economic practice but also to behave in their professional and civic lives in accordance with the values, which the University declares and promotes.
The fulfilment of the mission of the University, the rigorous application of the basic principles of its functioning, the respect and promotion of the declared values, and the implementation of the main strategic objectives, are the basis for the University to reach its vision by 2019.
VISION OF THE UNIVERSITY
The UEBA which has already confirmed and strengthened its position as a leader in higher education and research in economics and management in Slovakia, will be in the year of 2019 based on the proven level and the quality of education, the intensity and the quality of research, the success of its graduates in the labour market especially in Slovakia and the EU, on the active cooperation with the socio-economic practice in promoting mutually advantageous transfer of knowledge, by the creation of a quality and effective network of international relations, by the achievement of prestigious signs of quality based on the results of the national complex accreditation, by its activities and the interim results of the international accreditation in the system AACSB as well as appearance and effective communication of the results achieved in an environment of relevant community, perceived and recognized as a modern and dynamic university comparable to major and generally respected institutions of high education and of similar professional orientation at least in the region of Central Europe, with a high professional and scientific level, reflecting the social responsibility, which manifests in the concrete projects of cooperation with institutions and organizations in Slovakia and abroad.
II. STRATEGY AND MAIN DEVELOPMENT ACTIVITIES OF THE UEBA
A. STRATEGIC OBJECTIVES OF THE UNIVERSITY
The university management, in pursuit of the mission, respecting the basic principles in order to accomplish the vision of the University, proposes the following strategic objectives for the period 2015-2019 with a perspective until 2023:
- at national level, to promote the University as a university promoting its research character,
- to internationalize the University as an institution that meets international standards in all areas of its activities.
B. PRIORITIES IN THE ACTIVITIES OF THE UNIVERSITY
Achieving the strategic goals requires the orientation of all the University activities on key strategic priorities that go beyond all areas of its activities and which will be met by the implementation of individual tasks. In fulfilling the strategic goals and fulfilling the UEBA priorities, it acts and will be acting in the unity and synergy of all its organizational components, i.e. all faculties and other organizational units according to its statute.
1. Cross-sectional priorities:
- to fulfil the tasks resulting from the recommendations of the Commission for the UEBA accreditation as part of the international accreditation process in the prestigious system of evaluation and continuous improvement of quality of AACSB,
- to ensure continual improvement in quality in all areas of the functioning of the University, in line with international standards,
- to deepen the internationalization of education, science, research and other activities of the university by activating partnerships and networking,
- to intensify relations with national and international bodies, institutions and organizations of the state and public sector, economic and social practices,
- to create and promote a creative work environment and atmosphere, to build, encourage and deepen peer-to-peer relationships between employees and between the University staff and students,
- to consolidate internal and external communication by developing and implementing a comprehensive marketing strategy for the University and by monitoring feedback from the relevant groups.
2. Priorities in the area of education:
- to prepare and implement a new system of attaining the education in line with the requirements of the international accreditation of AACSB,
- permanently creating the conditions for the acceptability of the results of educational activities on the domestic and international labour market by preparing high-quality graduates, thereby permanently increasing their competitiveness on a national and international scale,
- applying the changes resulting from international comparisons to the system of study programs and continuously implementing the process of improving the quality of educational activities, taking effective measures to eliminate identified shortcomings and to communicate these measures in an appropriate manner,
- supporting the development of highly prestigious study programs, especially at the 2nd and 3rd levels of study, with a strong interconnection of pedagogical and scientific research activities.
3. Priorities in science, research and doctoral studies:
- permanently generating an atmosphere of creativity, challenges, inventiveness, and interdisciplinary approach to research and doctoral studies,
- continuously promoting the synergy of internationalization of education, science and research at the University by increasing the participation in international educational and research projects,
- strengthening the position of the University in economic research in Slovakia and in the Visegrad group, accordingly in Central Europe and in a broader international context by high-quality and effective scientific research activity, the preparation and implementation of strategic research topics, the support of interdisciplinary research teams and by the presentation of the results of this work in renowned international scientific journals registered in recognized databases,
- to increase the quality of PhD studies and to achieve comparability with renowned faculties of economics at home and abroad in a direct follow-up to the improvement of the quality of scientific research outputs of PhD students.
4. Priorities for internationalization, international relations and cooperation:
- promoting the active participation of the University in the activities of academic associations and to promote their interests within the associations,
- increasing the effectiveness of relations with foreign universities with the intention to search for strategic partners in the field of internationalization of education and scientific and research activities,
- to implement, in the core areas of the University's activities, those ones that will have a direct link to the university's position in the international context,
- further increasing the internationalization of the internal environment at the University.
5. Priorities in the management of academic projects:
- to ensure the expansion and effective implementation of lifelong learning and economic expertise activities within the Bratislava Business School and the Institute of Expertise,
- to ensure the provision and development of modern library and information services and related activities, utilizing the opportunities of technological development in this area.
6. Priorities for informatization:
- to continue to build a modern environment by introducing modern technologies and applying the process of standardizing the use of information and communication technologies as the basic work equipment of all employees and students,
- to continue to link SAP and AIS2 with multiple academic and administrative processes,
- to continue in supplying technical and technological equipping of selected workplaces and student homes.
7. Priorities in the area of communication and public relations:
- creating a new web environment for the University as an information resource and platform for communication,
- to develop and implement a comprehensive marketing strategy of the University and to ensure unified university communication both inside and outside,
- to activate the functioning of the Alumni Club.
8. Priorities for the area of development and finances:
- to ensure the further development of entrepreneurial activity and activities aimed at obtaining non-grant resources,
- to seek the opportunities to make so called non-economic facilities and workplaces more efficient using external services, optionally a lease,
- to update the University's investment development program in order to improve the working conditions of employees and students and to gradually implement it, aiming the University's investment development at completing the construction of the main campus of the University,
- to continue to maintain the financial stability of the University by developing activities on the basis of projects supported by national and international grant schemes and other activities aimed at acquiring the non-grant resources.
9. Priorities in human resources and social policies:
- to continue to accomplish the comprehensive personnel development and qualification growth of the University staff, to prepare a system for stabilizing the teachers of the younger and middle generation by promoting a job creation for young employees, meeting high requirements in recruiting new staff,
- to analyze the relationship between the evolution of the number of students, teachers and other staff in connection with the advancement of the funds from the state subsidy and non-grant resources and to take effective measures to ensure financial stability,
- to promote such social policy at the University that closely reflects the interests and needs of employees,
- to encourage an atmosphere of innovation, creativity, collegiality, good interrelations between employees and students in defining competencies and responsibilities, strengthening the international and multicultural environment at the University,
- to support student activities in the field of culture, sport, other interests and requirements of groups of employees and students with specific needs.
C. MAIN TASKS OF THE UNIVERSITY
1. CROSS-SECTIONAL TASKS
1.1 Continuous improvement of the internal integrated system of quality assurance and quality advancement
Ensuring the high quality in all areas of the activities of the University and its individual organizational units, as well as quality advancement in accordance with the requirements of the international accreditation standards AACSB International, deriving from “Standards and Guidelines for Quality Assurance in the European Higher Education Area” (ESG) and other internationally recognized quality standards is a basic prerequisite for a long-term sustainable high level of implementation of activities in all areas of the UEBA functioning, as well as for the success of the University in accreditation and assessment systems and evaluations at national and international levels and for further improvement of the University's position in Slovakia and its even greater acceptability abroad.
1.2 Implementation of a system of continuing education of teachers and other staff and continuing education programs
The introduction of a new system of providing the education in the structure of business-oriented study programs requires both teachers and other university staff to be well prepared to implement this system. The Program for the Development of Further Teacher Education should be a means of transferring knowledge into practice as well as a tool for increasing their qualifications. In addition, the UEBA prepares and implements Programs of Continuing Education as part of lifelong learning in order to ensure a continuous process of acquiring the knowledge, skills and competencies of teaching staff and professional staff from the external environment necessary for the performance of their teaching activities and for the performance of their professional activities. The centres specialized in pedagogy and further education become the bearers of this program aimed at enhancing didactic skills of young teachers in particular, promoting creativity and innovation, highlighting interdisciplinary approaches in science, research and education, and providing training in the area of new teaching methods as well as deepening knowledge and skills of qualitative and quantitative methods.
1.3 Improving the qualification structure of teachers
The qualification structure of teachers appears to be an extremely important factor in the current period, which is directly or indirectly associated not only with the obtaining of subsidies but also with the evaluation of the University in the framework of national as well as international accreditation. The University will take the necessary steps to improve the qualification structure of teachers, particularly in the category of associate professors and professors, with the emphasis on creating suitable conditions for the qualitative growth of, in particular, younger teachers (creative university staff), taking appropriate measures to support outstanding teachers and research staff, young scientists and will support them in professional growth to ensure the long-term stability of such staff at the University. The University will continue to pursue a demanding approach to the selection of new employees, develop conditions for the long-term employment of foreign academic staff, and carry out a regular process of continuous assessment of teachers, scientific and research staff as well as administrative and other so-called "support staff".
1.4 Establishing a Project Centre
Due to the University's multi-resource financing in relation to the criteria of complex and international accreditation, as well as to the change in the methodology of subsidy distribution to public higher education institutions, the importance of obtaining resources from projects supported from grant schemes at national and international level is being increased. These above mentioned facts demonstrate the need to dynamize the project activities and to create relevant infrastructure at the University level. The Centre, which will be established in close cooperation with the existing Institute of Economics and Management of the UEBA, through its gradual transformation, will coordinate and develop the project activities of the University, carry out the project activities with a special emphasis on developmental projects and higher level projects. Attention will be paid to active involvement of the University in the competitions for European Union´s grant resources, including the submission of the projects under the Horizon 2020 research and education schemes as well as the projects of Structural Funds. The Centre will initiate and coordinate the preparation of the projects in relation to the faculties and other departments of the University and provide them with information services. In the process of project implementation, in co-operation with research teams, projects will be coordinated at the University level throughout the individual phases of the project cycle.
1.5 Preparation and implementation of the marketing strategy
The comprehensive marketing strategy of the University, including all its essential components, is one of the preconditions for creating a positive image of the University in its internal and external environment. Its elaboration and subsequent implementation will not only increase public awareness of the University but will help to create, shape and consolidate favourable public opinion about it. The marketing strategy will be based on promoting the tools that enable the University to communicate effectively with relevant groups, to present their activities and results, and to use internal communication with their employees and students adequately therefore to help to achieve the goals set in all areas and activities of the University.
2. EDUCATIONAL ACTIVITIES
2.1 Introduction and continuing evaluation of the system of attaining the education
The University has not yet established the system of attaining the education as required by the terms of the AACSB international accreditation system. In order to meet this requirement, it is essential this system be prepared and implemented in all study programs at all three levels of the study. The aim of this system will be to continually improve the level of achievement of learning objectives by students with a focus on entire study programs, based on the systematic acquisition of information and their regular evaluation.
2.2 Introducing a new structure of admission tests on the first level of the study
Considering the change in the number of applicants for the study at the first and secondary level, it is necessary to address the structure and the content of the admission tests in the admission procedure for the first level of the study, with the aim to determine, by their realization, the individual presumptions of applicants for the study at the UEBA, without lowering the level of the difficulty of the admission procedure. On the basis of a thorough analysis, such a system of entrance examinations will be prepared that selects the candidates with the best predispositions for the university studies.
2.3 Evaluation of the study programs, their structures, content focus, re-accreditation of the study programs with time constraints, accreditation of new study programs and ensuring the systematic application of the assessment system of quality of educational activity.
The results of the complex accreditation in 2015 highlighted some shortcomings in the study programs. Some study programs of the University do not meet the expectations that were anticipated. Therefore, it will be necessary to pay attention to the creation of an effective structure of the study programs at all levels of study and their content orientation, the gradual elimination of the shortcomings pointed out by the Accreditation Commission, further preparation of the materials for the re-accreditation of those study programs where the rights with a time limit were granted, accordingly the preparation of applications for the accreditation of new study programs which need to be based on the requirements of economic practice or international cooperation. The quality of education is a prerequisite for further improvement of the University's position on the higher education market in Slovakia but also on an international scale; therefore it is necessary to continue to implement an integrated system of quality assurance and improvement. The high quality of the educational activity and its results are one of the preconditions for successful international accreditation. In this context, one of the assumptions appears to be strengthening the role of guarantors of the study programs in the preparation, organization and follow-up of quality ensuring and quality monitoring of these study programs.
2.4 Evaluation of the current system and preparation of a new system of evidence of pedagogical activities of teachers
Teachers´ achievements in the educational and scientific-research area are currently being monitored at the University differently. At the level of pedagogical activities, the academic year is being followed, whereas publication and scientific research activities are monitored in attestations once every two calendar years, or in the case of employment selection procedures. Therefore, attention will need to be given to unifying the system of teachers’ activities evaluation.
2.5 Optimization of the activities of publisher Ekonóm
The students have been currently using available technology to access information such as tablets, laptops, and others. The processing of seminar papers and their submission in electronic form is part of almost every subject, therefore it is necessary to offer the study literature not only in printed form, but also in electronic form as well as to overall improvement of services provided to employees and students.
3. SCIENCE, RESEARCH AND DOCTORAL STUDY
3.1 Promoting a commitment to creating a science and research community based on the values of an open society, mutual understanding and respect for individual and cultural diversity
In the context of the criteria and standards of international (re)accreditation of AACSB focusing on engagement, innovation and impact, and following the results of comprehensive university accreditation, it is a priority to continuously create an atmosphere of creativity, challenge, innovation and interdisciplinary approach to research and doctoral studies as a precondition for increasing the efficiency of PhD study and achieving its full international comparability with renowned economic faculties abroad. The aim of this initiative is to adapt the comprehensive system of quality assessment of creative researchers and doctoral studies at the University as well as to conceptually shape the conditions of research implementation and doctoral studies.
3.2 Supporting international cooperation in the field of science and research
The priority to steadily promote the synergy of the internationalization of education, science and research at the University is a prerequisite for a stronger integration of the University within the European Higher Education Area, the European Research Area (ERA) and the European Economic Area by increasing the participation in international education and research projects. The aim of this initiative is to systematically encourage the participation of creative staff and postgraduate students in further education oriented at increasing their scientific and research potential, as well as promoting the internationalization and attractiveness of PhD study.
3.3 Promoting the interaction of scientists and researchers with the decisive sphere, international organizations, professional associations, economic practice and the third sector.
The aim of this initiative is to stimulate the scientific and research activities of the newly established UEBA Project Centre in the national and international context and its interaction with the faculties in cooperation with the relevant university institutes in the interest of the support for internationalization and interdisciplinarity in research and doctoral studies as well as systematically support the interaction between science and research and PhD studies in order to involve creative staff and graduate students in international research projects and research networks. Until the establishment of the Project Centre takes place, the research and development activities of the Institute of Economics and Management of the UEBA shall be activated.
3.4 Development of the potential of science and research in the context of the development of international relations.
In order to continuously strengthen the established position of the University in research area in the Visegrad zone, or Central Europe, and in a wider international context, the aim of this initiative is to complete the University's web-based foreign language environment as an information resource and platform for communication on research and doctoral studies.
4. INTERNATIONALIZATION, INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS AND COOPERATION
4.1 Ensuring the active participation of the University in the activities of academic associations and international organizations
The UEBA is a member of several relevant international organizations, institutions, cooperative networks, and initiatives which are active in the higher education sector. Membership in these organizations can make a significant contribution to increasing its international prestige only if it has an active approach to the activities of these institutions. Participating in events is a positive contribution to the transfer of the latest knowledge from the international environment to the University, to the establishment of new perspective institutionalized relationships and contributes to the improvement of quality in all areas of university activities. The UEBA will, in cooperation with international organizations, focus primarily on prestigious international organizations and initiatives.
4.2 Optimization of the systemic preconditions for the internationalization of education
The membership of the University in the prestigious international groupings HERMES (Higher Education and Research in Management of European Universities) and CIDD (Consortium of International Double Degrees) will need to be used not only to ensure the academic exchanges of students and teachers on a reciprocal basis through relevant mobility programs, but mainly for the development of cooperation in the creation and implementation of joint study programs resulting in double or joint diplomas with renowned foreign universities.
4.3 Development of regional cooperation activities
Developing regional co-operation activities (V4, Central European Initiative, etc.) in the area of mobility, science and education envisages the use of existing academic cooperation with the universities in Central Europe to deepen mutual cooperation in the submission of joint framework projects in the field of education, international mobility, supporting the organization of summer schools and international development projects. The UEBA will continue to support long-term cooperation, based in particular on a contractual basis, with major organizations and institutions of a national nature.
4.4 Ensuring reciprocity in the mobility of students and teachers
The internationalization of the University's internal environment and the associated international transfer of knowledge represent an effective impetus for the development of creativity and innovation and for the improvement of quality in education and research. Internationalization in all areas of university’s activities is one of the key factors under the prestigious national and international accreditation standards.
4.5 Application for ECTS and Diploma Supplement
The involvement of the University in international cooperation systems and the acceptance of its educational structure and content in the international environment requires among other things a thorough application of the ECTS system based on the transparency of learning outcomes and learning processes that allow facilitating, planning, providing, evaluating, recognizing and auditing the qualification of the study as well as simplifying the student mobility. Therefore, in close connection with the internationalization of education, it will be necessary to prepare the conditions and to apply for the ECTS and Diploma Supplement Label. These marks are among the prestigious awards in the field of higher education in the European space awarded by the European Commission's Directorate-General for Education and Culture. The mark certifies the correct use of European learning criteria at each level of study, the proper management of ERASMUS + mobility.
5. MANAGEMENT OF ACADEMIC PROJECTS
5.1 Fulfilling the standards of the international accreditation system in AACSB International
AACSB International is one of the world's leading agencies focusing on the accreditation of universities in the fields of economics, business and management. The accreditation process is aimed at continuously improving quality in all areas of university activity while AACSB respects the diversity of universities and compliance with international accreditation standards is assessed in relation to the mission of the university. Acquiring the accreditation in this prestigious international rating system and continual quality improvement will mean a significant strengthening of the position for the University at the national level and increased international recognition and acceptance.
This will also expand the possibilities for further university development in all areas of university functioning and the position of its graduates in the labour market within the Slovak Republic and the EU shall be improved as well.
5.2 Enhancement of lifelong learning activities within the Bratislava Business School
The Bratislava Business School as university´s educational, research and consulting independent institution is focused on lifelong learning. Based on relevant market research and education needs monitoring, education and training programs are being prepared in cooperation with domestic and foreign entities. At the same time, it identifies and secures the acquisition of participants who are interested in acquiring or completing the education, or experience in the area concerned, and ensures the implementation of education and training programs. Through its activities, the BBS contributes significantly to the transfer of knowledge in the field of economic, management and other related disciplines, to intensifying relations with private and public entities and to spreading the good reputation of the University in Slovakia and abroad.
5.3 Continuous improvement of the activities of the Institute of Expertise
The UEBA´s Institute of Expertise is an institution that performs specialized activities focusing on qualified expert activities. At the same time, it is an educational and methodological centre in the field of economic expert activity, which closely cooperates with the Ministry of Justice of the Slovak Republic in carrying out the examinations of experts and in the preparation of legislation regulating the activity of expertise. Through its activities, the Institute contributes to the expansion of cooperation, especially with economic practice and with public and judicial authorities, thereby intensively contributing to the spread of the UEBA's good reputation.
5.4 Expansion of the complete library and information services of the Slovak Economic Library in real and digital space
The development of information technologies, their penetration into all areas of society and the rapid expansion of documents in electronic form significantly changes basic library functions and services as well as user behaviour. The digital environment changes the system of communication of scientific and specialized pieces of information, and access to them. The Slovak Economic Library must respond flexibly to these challenges and new technologies must be used to improve, modernize and expand the library and information services provided by the library to provide the academic community of the University and the public professional authorities with permanent access to scientific and professional information from leading domestic and foreign resources. The Slovak Economic Library also provides for collecting documents, bibliographic registration, processing and making available the scientific and professional publications of university staff, so it is necessary to pay attention to the building of its information and technological base.
6.1 Introducing IT Governance as a part of university management
Efficient management of the University requires the availability of high-quality information and communication technologies and the environment to that respect. In order to reduce and optimize the costs of various management and administrative activities, it is necessary to change the access to information technologies at all levels of the University so that these technologies become an effective tool for internal communication, management and processing of documents.
6.2 Establishing a central administration of printing at the University
There are currently a large number of printers of different types and brands operated at the University. Printing options in such environment drains large financial and personnel resources, moreover no management or monitoring tools are available for managing the printers.
6.3 Modernizing of technical and software equipment
Currently used Wi-Fi in several dormitories and at particular university departments as well as the technological status of the learning facility in Virt does not always reach the required level, therefore it is necessary to gradually change this situation, including updating the computer hardware and software in the university classes.
7. COMMUNICATION AND PUBLIC RELATIONS
7.1 Implementing effective marketing communication
From the point of view of creating a positive image of the University, it is necessary to develop and implement a university marketing strategy in order to communicate and present the activities of the University in all its areas from one centre. Reasonable presentation of the possibilities of study at the University, its realized activities and the presentation of the results of its activities is a prerequisite for a positive perception of the position of the University in appropriate environment.
7.2 Optimizing the University's presentation towards the international environment
The activities of the University and its achievements in various fields of activities must be actively communicated not only towards the domestic but also international environment. Improving the presentation of the University abroad with the use of adequate communication tools is one of the basic tasks needed to achieve strategic goals in the field of international relations.
7.3 Building a Career Centre as a contacting career counselling point
The Career Centre, as an integral part of the Centre for Communication and Public Relations, has been fulfilling an important role in implementing the University's marketing strategy for students as well as for the public, especially in the field of job placement for the University graduates, in ensuring and implementing of cooperation with institutions of economic and social expertise in educational and scientific sphere, as well as in the preparation and implementation of trainings in career and personnel counselling.
7.4 Activation of Alumni Club activities
The Alumni Club is a standard part of universities' activities in the world. The key benefit of the Alumni Club is to provide feedback as a significant source of information on ensuring the quality of education and scientific research and creating conditions for regular communication with the graduates in order to establish relationships with economic practice, as well as for the purpose of introducing the University to the significant business networking aimed at tackling the common projects. The main objective is to increase the sense of fellowship and to inform the University graduates of developments at the University and to improve their access to know-how.
8. FINANCES AND DEVELOPMENT
8.1 Ensuring financial sustainability
The amount of resources granted covering the individual activities of the University has been continuously insufficient not adequate enough to cover the basic needs of the University. In the context of strengthening the importance of multi-source financing and less dependence on the state budget, it is therefore expected to increase the share of financial resources in the core activities, in business activities and in other external sources to finance the development activities of the University to that extent that it can guarantee a longer- term financial sustainability.
8.2 Implementation of a system of remuneration differentiation and motivation
Human resources play a crucial role in achieving the strategic goals of the University. The University's priority will therefore be the clarification of the incentive system for assessing the performance of its staff by reinforcing the differentiated approach to the assessment of the work of an individual employee. The goal of this task is to stabilize prospective university staff as well as improving their age and qualification structure.
8.3 Implementation of investment objectives
The intention is to complete the investment in the University´s premises in its individual locations (Bratislava: the main complex Dolnozemská, Konventná, Palisády, Vlčie hrdlo, Starohájska, Hroboňova) and at the same time to reconstruct the buildings of the University located in Pekná výhliadka, Jarabá and Virt.
8.4 Implementation of the program for improving the working conditions of the employees and accommodation conditions of the students
It is the duty of the employer to improve the working conditions of university staff with an emphasis on health and safety at work, but also to improve the conditions for sports, culture and health care. Quality and accommodation options are some of the factors that affect students´ interest in university studies. The aim is therefore to improve the quality of the working environment as well as the provided accommodation and catering services.
9. PERSONNEL DEVELOPMENT, DEVELOPMENT OF QUALIFICATIONS AND SOCIAL POLICY
9.1 Ensuring comprehensive HR development and human resources management strategy
In connection with the realization of the long-term plan of university development, it is necessary to arrange this process with a high quality personnel policy and a strategy of human resources management. The corresponding structure of the qualified staff contributes significantly to ensuring a high-quality educational and scientific-research process with corresponding outputs that greatly affect the financial security of all university activities. The number of jobs and their structure are determined in each organizational part of the University by the needs of fulfilling the assigned tasks. Streamlining the individual activities of the University, it also presupposes the implementation of organizational changes at the University.
9.2 Application of legislative changes to the employment regulations
Legislation in the area of labour and social law is very dynamic and it is essential that the arrangements regarding employment relationships, social entitlements etc. are projected and incorporated into internal regulations, methodological guidelines, and the Collective Agreement of the University.
The long-term plan of development of the UEBA is the starting point for the elaboration of long-term plans for the development of the faculties and other departments of the University. The schedule of long-term plan will be elaborated dividing it into objectives and tasks of the University according to the individual years. When performing the individual tasks, an active approach is expected of all university employees and students, without whom the goals set forth in this plan, cannot be fully realized.